Data Protection and Privacy Statement
We would like to thank your support and hope you will continue to join us in the coming events and promotions.
1. COLLECTION OF PERSONAL DATA
This Personal Data Protection Notice is issued to all our valued customers/prospective customers, pursuant to the requirements of the Personal Data Protection Act 2010.
We treat and view your personal data seriously.
In the course of your dealings with us, Times The Bookshop Pte Ltd (992948-H) and its related corporations (as defined under the Companies Act 1965)(“Times Publishing Group”), as our valued customer / prospective customer, we will request that you provide data and information about yourself (“Personal Data”) to enable us to enter into transaction with you or to deliver the necessary notices, services and/or products.
2. NATURE OF PERSONAL DATA
Such Personal Data may be subject to applicable data protection, privacy and other similar laws and may include information, but is not limited to your full name, age, identity card number, passport number, address, gender, date of birth, marital status, occupation, income range, contact information, email address, race, ethnic origin, nationality, interests and credit card details, next of kin, employer, bankers, images taken from the CCTV in our premises and images taken during any of our promotional events (such as and not limited to book fair, children activities, book sharing, book talk, warehouse sales)
The personal data we collect can be either obligatory or voluntary. Obligatory personal data are those that we require in order to provide you with our products, information and services. If you do not provide us with obligatory personal data, we would not be able to provide you with our products and services. Voluntary personal data are those that are not mandatory in order for us to provide you with our products and services. If you do not provide us with voluntary personal data, you can still sign up for our products, information and services. Obligatory and voluntary personal data differ for each products and services and will be indicated in the application forms.
3. IMPACT FROM FAILURE TO SUPPLY PERSONAL DATA
The failure to supply such Personal Data will:-
- result in us being unable to provide you with the notices, services and/or products requested;
- result in us being unable to accept and process your entry to any contest;
- result in us being unable to update you on our latest products, services and promotions.
4. PURPOSE OF COLLECTING PERSONAL DATA
The Personal Data is collected, used and otherwise processed by us for, amongst others, the following purposes:
- processing your request(s), order(s), purchase(s), contest entry , member application(s) and/or RSVP confirmation on promotional events;
- delivering notices, services, products, updates, prizes and/or promotional materials to you;
- maintaining and improving customer relationship;
- conducting marketing survey and client profiling activities;
- maintaining and updating internal record keeping;
- detecting and preventing crime (including but not limited to fraud, money-laundering, bribery);
- meeting any legal or regulatory requirements and making disclosure under the requirements of any applicable law, regulation, direction, court order, by-law, guideline, circular, code applicable to us or any entity within our group;
- enabling us to send you information by email, telecommunication means (telephone calls or text messages) or social media about products, services and/or promotions offered by Times The Bookshop Pte Ltd and selected third parties that we think may interest you;
- we may or may not transferred your personal data outside Malaysia and will obtain your consent if we do.
The Personal Data provided to us will generally be kept confidential but you hereby consent and authorize us to provide or disclose your Personal Data to the following categories:-
- any person to whom we are compelled or required to do so under law;
- any entity within our group;
- payment channels including without limitation financial institutions for purpose of assessing, verifying, effectuating and facilitating payment of any amount due to Times The Bookshop Pte Ltd in connection with your acquisition of our services and/or products;
- our business partners and affiliates that provide related services or products in connection with our business, for joint promotions and/or contest;
- statutory authorities, government agencies and industry regulators;
- our consultants, accountants, auditors, lawyers or other financial or professional advisers;
- our sub-contractors or third party service or product providers;
- our service providers for purposes of establishing and maintaining a common database where we have a legitimate common interest;
- the general public when you become a winner in a contest by publishing your name, photographs and other Personal Data without compensation for advertising and publicity purposes.
We shall keep and process your data in a secure manner. We endeavour, where practicable, to implement the appropriate administrative and security safeguards and procedures in accordance with the applicable laws and regulations to prevent the unauthorized or unlawful processing of the Personal Data and the accidental loss or destruction of, or damage to, the Personal Data.
7. RIGHTS OF ACCESS AND CORRECTION
7.1 You have the right to request for access to and correction of your information held by us and in this respect, you may:
- check whether we hold or use your Personal Data and request access to such data;
- request that we correct any of your Personal Data that is inaccurate, incomplete or out-of-date;
- request that your Personal Data is retained by us only as long as necessary for the fulfilment of the purposes for which it was collected;
- request that we specify or explain our policies and procedures in relation to data and types of Personal Data handled by us;
- communicate to us your objection to the use of your Personal Data for marketing purposes whereupon we will not use your Personal Data for these purposes; and
- withdraw, in full or in part, your consent given previously, in each case subject to any applicable legal restrictions, contractual conditions and a reasonable time period.
7.2 The department to whom written requests for access to the Personal Data or correction and/or deletion of the Personal Data or for information regarding policies and procedures and types of Personal Data handled by us is:
Department Name: Marketing Department
Contact No. : 03-5636 0199
Email Address: email@example.com
Address: Lot 557A & B, Jalan Subang 3, Subang Jaya Light Industrial Estate, 47610 Subang Jaya, Selangor.
7.3 You may also unsubscribe to our marketing materials by clicking the unsubscribe link contained in the email we send to you and following the instructions therein.
Your usage of our website (http://www.timesbookstores.com.my), microsite (http://throughthetimes.com.my) and Facebook Page (https://www.facebook.com/ThroughTheTimes) indicates your consent to the use of your Personal Data in accordance with this Personal Data Protection Notice.
Please note that we may update this Privacy Notice from time to time. If there are material changes to this Privacy Notice, we will notify you by posting a notice of such changes on our website or by sending you a notification directly via email. Do periodically review this Privacy Notice to stay informed on how we are protecting your information.
This Privacy Notice was last updated in July 2014.
We provide the Privacy Notice in both English and Bahasa Malaysia. In case of any inconsistencies between these two, the English version shall prevail.
Click here for the Bahasa Malaysia version.
All other questions on our use of your Personal Data should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org